Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Reason, a season or a lifetime

In a recent conversation with a freind about setting boundaries in relationships, Katherine commented that people are in our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime. It was one of those cliches that resonated with me. I was ready to hear that it's okay to have friends in our lives for a specific reason, for a short amount of time or for a lifetime. I felt liberated in the face of the tough job I felt I had, setting healthy boundaries in my relationships.
I think the first thing we feel when we change the rules of friendship is guilt, at least that's how I felt. I was aware that in some way I was hurting somebody and that's not on the list of things I want. I think my need for peace outweighed the feelings of unease and in time I have learned to value the boundaries, so that I can enjoy the company of those people without feeling uncomfortable.
I have learned a great deal about compassion in this process: compassion for myself as I create space in my life to attract more peace, which is what I want; more compassion for other people both friends and strangers because we all ultimately want to feel loved, heard and valued.
I feel lighter in my life because I'm not carrying around the baggage of unfulfilled relationships; I can give from my overflow to those in need of whatever I have and I have created space for healthier friendships to show up because I recognize what they look like.
Mindfulness habits of gratitude and compassion release us from negativity and man does that feel good!

No comments: